Sunday, August 16, 2009

Shall I? I shall!

Ok, so I have some interviews ready for reading! Well, almost. I need to edit and get them pretty first. So while you guys are waiting, I thought I'd start this off! First, I'd like to thank everyone. Seriously. Everyone I meet has something to do with how I am, so I'd like to thank them all! Mainly two of my English teachers, Mrs. Ellis, and Ms. Brunasso, as well as my middle school band teacher, Mister Thompson. There are more, but it's a long list. These three teachers helped me the most, partly because they were the teachers that didn't take the crap. Ms. B was strict, no doubt about it, but she helped me become a better writer. And because of that, I was able to grow! Mrs. Ellis helped me find a love of creative writing, both in the form of prose and poetry. Without her, I wouldn't have started writing. And Mr. T was my band teacher, and the best one I had. He actually let me mess with the drums, which was something that no one was allowed to do unless they were in percussion. I played drums outside of school, and he knew that, thank goodness. I can honestly say that if he hadn't let me try out the percussion instruments that I wouldn't have been ready for anything that my band did during out acoustic sets! So I owe him that one! And the thing that all three of these teachers did, the one thing they had in common? They all taught me to try new things, to reach out of my comfort zone, and THAT is why I'm writing this post to you today! And I love it! So on to the questions! This is just a template I was using for interviews. Hey, if the people I'm asking them to have to suffer through them, why not me too?

1) What does art mean to you?
Art to me is something that lets the artist express themselves without having to worry about being criticized. It's what free speech should be, because it lets someone express what they may not be able to find words for. It should not only express the emotion of the artist, but it should be able to understood by someone watching, listening, or studying it. This could be why so much of today's "pop culture" is popular. It's easy to understand.


2) Do you have a background in any type of art, such as music, dance, painting, etc.?
I am a musician first and foremost. I play the drums, the flute, the piano, and I dabble in bass guitar as well as other instruments. I also like to write. I write poetry, fan fiction, just about anything! I've even tried writing a script. I wish I could paint, but my hand shakes too much.


3) What medium/mediums do you prefer? (Music, canvas, paper, typed word, etc.)
I personally enjoy music the most. It's the medium I feel the most comfortable in.


4) How do you think art has evolved to fit today's "modern lifestyle"?
I think it's become over simplified. I've said it before on this blog, and I will say it again: We don't need the messaged spoon fed to us! I like having it layered with a soothing guitar part, puzzling lyrics, and a fast double bass drum. I like seeing it smothered in blue paint, red paint, green lines. I like old styles, but I like being able to ask myself "Well, did he want the message to be this?" I don't like today's pop culture, nor am I the biggest fan of "modern art" unless it is in sculpture. There I feel like it plays out very well.


5a) Do you think that making music and traditional art easy to access helped or hindered the art community? Why?
It's had it's ups and downs. On the plus side, it allows everyone to access the finest paintings in the world, it lets everyone listen to the classical music of Mozart and Chopin, and lets everyone read the works of literature that make reading worth it. But at the same time, for every song downloaded legally, someone's downloading one illegally. I know I always get the cd's of artists I like, but most people get one song for 99 cents. Most people skip over songs, numbly going from one thing to the next. I'm big on making sure the artist actually gets something for the hard work they put into an album, a painting, a sculpture.


5b) What about bands and artists that allow their work to be downloaded for free, such as Nine Inch Nails? What is your opinion on this?
I think it's great! If they want to, I say go for it! I also think that fans should remember that they are doing it for free, and shouldn't... complain I guess. I hear a lot of people complain about something being "not good enough" or "not up to standard" and I must say, it's disappointing. I'd go out of my way to donate more then I normally would if I knew that the band was doing it for free, or was doing something more for the fans.


6) How has art influenced your life? Do you have family that is involved in music, art, or writing in some way?
My aunt sings gospel, and my cousin plays the drums. My mom put me in piano at a young age, and my little sister plays piano a bit too. She also sings in the school choir. Although I didn't know this until recently, my dad also used to manage bands, and actually KNOWS the drummer of Velvet Revolver! He can play guitar and drums if he tried, but he tends to focus more on photography, which has rubbed off on the whole family as well. I don't know if it's a religion thing or what (most LDS kids start on piano...) but I know that starting on piano helped me get far in music, even if I am better on drums then I ever was on piano or flute. So I guess having my cousin and aunt involved in music influenced me to give it a try.


7) Do you prefer one medium to another, or are all mediums equally good at expressing what the artist is trying to get across?
I think all mediums are good at expressing the emotions of an artist. It just depends on the artist and their style. A writer isn't going to be able to pick up a paint brush and get his message across, just like a painter won't be able to pick up a flute and just start playing. If the artist is in his or her element, however, the emotion will get across.


Well, that's all for now! I have a few interviews coming up for everyone, and a VERY special guest in the works! Hopefully I get some more guests within the next month! I have a couple musicians and a painter lined up to give their opinions, so hopefully things work out!


Nicole Paoli

No comments:

Post a Comment